Friday, February 27, 2009

So Here's the Scoop...

So here's the scoop...Big Butter will be 5 in Sept, but will not yet start Kindergarten since the cut-off is July 31. Thinking that he needed to be in school 5 days a week this fall, I tried to enroll him in a different preschool. Since it was quite a bit more than we're currently spending, I decided to go out there and find me a job! I figured with just a couple of shifts a week I could make enough money to pay for this overpriced school. Kinda crazy, I know. So I went and applied at Kohl*s. It's only 5 minutes away and I figured a big store like that would be more likely to be hiring than The Children*s Place (where I could DEFINITELY use a discount!) In the meantime, we didn't get into the new school (they somehow only had one opening!), but I got the job! I guess about 15 years of retail management experience helped to get a part-time sales associate job :) Best part is that now the money I make (which I can assure you isn't much!) doesn't have to all go to preschool! I'm only working about 15 hours a week in the evenings, so I don't have to get a baby-sitter. Well, at least that was the plan...of course the timing turned out to be awful. Kurt hasn't travelled for work since I can remember. Well, wouldn't ya know, that he's been out of town for 4 weeks now (home on the weekends, though) - just as I started this new gig! So, I had to find someone to stay with the kids for 3 nights. The first night I had to pay our regular babysitter - so I made a whopping $2 that shift! Thankfully my wonderful parents came and stayed with them the other two nights. They all had fun - the kids were incredibly well behaved! So instead of this just being a little no-stress "grown-up, me-time"...it started out a little crazy! I'm having a lot of fun so far. Everyone is nice and helpful - since I haven't worked in about 4 years, I needed a little help! I'm working in the Juniors, Men's and Misses depts, pretty much just trying to keep the place picked-up! (not much different than putting away laundry all day...but I'm getting paid for it here!) So that's why I've neglected my blog, (work, kids, keeping the house together, sorting all of the Girl Scout Cookies- really it's not that bad...I am woman!!!) I've got some catching up to do!

(I also thought it might be time for me to go back to work since i had spent about 15 minutes folding a table of Levi*s at Kohl*s while shopping one night!)

6 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

I'm glad you're enjoying it and get to use the money for other things after all! I hope hubbby gets to work from home again soon. No one can fold a sweater like you, girl! You'll be rising to the top in no time.

Amy Lynn said...

I'm so happy that everything is OK. Thanks for the update! I've actually considered picking up a little something just to make a little something for all those extra little somethings I seem to find at Target without meaning to. I wish they had a Children's Place closer...although I'd probably STILL end up paying them every week. Addiction is so sad!

katyvee said...

You all just need to live in Logan where there IS no Childrens Place.. OR Target, or even decent preschool that I'm aware of (oh.. except for the awesome state run one that Bo got into free because of his speech impetement. Developmental issues come in handy sometimes!)-- so WA-LA!!
No need for extra cash!!
(Unless ofcourse you're referring to all our BILLS.. but that's no fun.) Glad you're liking it though.. you and Jasen can exchange Kohls stories at the next reunion (like when he found a box of POOP in the back room!)

Tamara said...

Kohl's got a steal of a deal in hiring you!

I hear you about Big Butter and pre-K. Lydia is ready for Kindergarten now, and she also misses the cutoff. At least I lucked out--our elementary school has free, full day (8:30-2:30) pre-K for ages 3 and up.

Emma Jo said...

I would love to do a little folding and get paid for it. It sounds nice to get out just a bit every week and have some grown up time, even if it is to clean up after other people. So congrats on the job!

Abby said...

Do they know how lucky they are to have someone so over-qualified? I hope so. You go, girl!