Thursday, September 24, 2009

Another Birthday Bash


Poor big Butter, he's gotta suffer through 4 other birthdays until his Big Day finally rolls around! So after weeks of "When is it September?" the big day finally arrived! We started things off right with a party at the new playground! Perfect for a bunch of little boys with lots of sweat, noise and energy! They played on the playground... ...did the limbo, played a little Duck, Duck, Goose......you know it's just not a party without a pinata!

...ate some pizza, got black teeth from the Transformer logos on the cupcakes...(poor middle child and final birthday party...got very simple, yet tasty, cupcakes!)
opened some presents, threw away their trash and went home...GREAT PARTY!!!Here he is with his big first grade buddies - very cool of them to hang out with a guy who's still in pre-k! Our celebration just wouldn't be complete without a trip to Tropical*Sno!
Finally Monday rolled around... and my Big Butter was officially 5!!! We got the day started with a birthday wish on an orange roll! We met up with Grandma and Grandpa at 5 Guys Burger*s and Fries, since, well, he was 5...where else can you go?!Of course then there was more cake...



..and more presents! A pretty good birthday for a big 5 year old!

Yep, a big 5 year old...wow I can't believe it's been 5 whole years since that crazy day when he finally decided it was ok to come out and join our family! He was only 4 days late, but in pregnant days that's more like 4 weeks! The morning began around 6am with the most intense labor pains...just like in the movies! After a pretty crazy drive through rush hour and an amazing epidural, I thought I could finally relax. When the fetal monitor slowed down, however and that little heartbeat grew slower and slower and slower, that plan went straight out the window! Nothing could have prepared me for the frantic, helpless feeling I had at that moment. As doctors and nurses swarmed the delivery room my fears grew stronger. Each time they reminded me to relax, I began to panic even more. Apparently I wouldn't dilate enough and the contractions were too intense and frequent for him. Finally after signing the papers for an emergency c-section, my amazing doctor came to our rescue and got Big Butter out without surgery! Yes, amazing...because Big Butter was a whopping 10lbs 1oz and 22" (hence the name Big Butter!) I can't explain the joy (and relief) I felt when I was finally able to hold him in my arms, look into his sweet little eyes and know that he was safe! (What I didn't realize at that time, was just how many times I'd have that same feeling with this little risk-taker!)

We've certainly had our fair share of adventures with this one! To say he's a handful just doesn't even come close! Honestly I'm incredibly surprised to have made it through 5 years without serious medication...for him OR me! Oh how I wish I had the formula for his energy...I could make a fortune! Really, you should see him do the "Human Tornado!" or how well he can car surf or hide in a big store! He's quite the problem solver and can figure out a way to do (or get to) anything! You should also however, hear him when he just randomly throughout the day says, "I love you, Mom," while giving me a huge "squeezy hug!" Or hear how well he's sounding out words - both reading and spelling. Or how he can count to 100. Or his new trick - adding. Or how he promises to never, ever kick his shoes off again, "because you never know...they just might land in banana pie again!" Or how he says, "Here, you can have some of my candy," or shares his toys with his little brother. Yep, believe it or not, my little wild child has a very sweet side that few are lucky enough to see! I consider myself very lucky! Very lucky indeed to have such a tough (that head is made of concrete!), athletic, self-reliant, fearless, determined, smart, funny, charming, sweet, cute and loving Big Butter! Happy Birthday big guy! I sure do love you!!!

3 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Happy Birthday to your Big Butter! I've never met him...how tragic is that? I think he and Hannah could be best friends! Very sweet blog! Perfect birthday party...you're brilliant!

Emma Jo said...

What a sweet sweet boy...and honestly, how in the world did you birth a 10 pound baby?! There should be some kind of award for that (I mean besides having a baby after all that.)

Becks said...

What a sweet blog entry. I love how you painted a picture of D with your memories of his birth and the birthday message about your love for him. Isn't it amazing that we are so blessed to have these kids to love and to learn from?