Sunday, April 18, 2010

Learning to Be Lazy

I don't like to sit. I don't like to stay home. I hardly even watch TV anymore. (unless it's one of the two shows that i really can't miss!) I'm cleaning, shopping, playing, field tripping, working, working out and my one vice...*Facebooking! My favorite on the list would have to be Field Tripping (yep, pretty sure I made up that term!) We are constantly on the go...my backyard is a mud pit in the spring, so it's off to the playgrounds after school. My kids just don['t fight when we're at a museum, park, zoo etc...I actually play with them on a Field Trip, instead of cleaning house or getting involved in some project as they watch TV! They generally learn something, or at least experience things we don't have at home. And last but certainly not least, my house stays cleaner if we're not there!!!
This town has so much to offer. Here are some highlights from a few of our latest outings. Indoor swimming...



Tasty Milkshakes and sandwiches at a cozy little spot in a scary part of town!We love the beautiful flowers, secret paths, cool fountains and fun kids' play area at the Botanical Gardens!


A fun new activity for us...the Paddle Boats! I had to do this one in two trips (the kids actually had separate spring Breaks, so it worked out quite nicely). I just wasn't too sure how well they'd take turns, and was just a tiny bit concerned that it might lead to a capsized boat and a frantic mom trying to keep it all together while desperately getting the kids to safety, the boat turned right side up, and hoping that I hadn't lost my cell phone, keys or credit cards in all the mayhem. Yeah, that didn't really sound like a risk I was willing to take. This way everything went quite smoothly and we had a great time...twice!


After a trip to the zoo we're always in need of a nice, cool treat! What could be be better than a gigantic root beer float?! And what an adventure the *Loop* was for these guys! Kacey saw some crazy lady in head to toe purple sequins, Dillon found a nasty bottle cap that kept him entertained with all sorts of made-up games, and Brady picked up all sorts of germs by pointing out every "B" on the sidewalk! It was pretty interesting, and now we like to go there after most trips to *Forest Park*!And this...well, this is my son keeping us entertained! The weather in Spring can be a bit tricky, and you sometimes have to change into something cooler in the car!


Let's not forget the rock wall and hours of endless jumping on inflatables at the Family Fun Festival*!


Then there are the trips to the playgrounds, walks around lakes, slushies, sno cones and snacking on donuts while watching the trains go by...and that's just the stuff with the kids. I finally found some time for myself and painted my kitchen, sat down and read a book (well, I'm half-way!) a real grown-up one, with no pictures or fuzzy ducks! and began some serious studying to become a Personal Trainer or at least a Group Fitness Instructor. BUT all that has come to a halt! You see, my local Kohl*s that has kept me busy for 16 hrs a week is undergoing a major remodel. All of the fun stuff goes on at night...yep from 9pm-6am there are fixtures to be assembled, merchandise to move and endless sizing to be done (honestly I can do without the sizing now!) while the contractors are busy tearing down walls, ripping up carpet, putting up new walls and putting in fresh new tiles, registers, fitting rooms etc...So since clearing out fitting rooms and folding jeans was getting more than a little tiresome, I volunteered to help out! That's right 4 nights a week while the rest of you are sound asleep (except perhaps Neen and Anna!) I'm up at the store getting all this fun work done! I'm having a great time, but I must admit it's a bit of an adjustment. It's a little tricky trying to fit in a full day after working a full night! So that's why I have decided that it's ok to be lazy! (mon-thurs anyway!) I get home around 6am and sleep until about 10 or 11. After that I go for a little run, get my Brady from the sitter, take a shower, maybe hit Target* and look at that...it's about time for the kids to get home from school! So, not a lot of out & about time, a little bit of nap time, and a lot of just hanging out at the house with the kids time! It's been great so far! It's only until the end of May...unless I get really crazy and help out at the next store! Point is, I'm a little tired, and haven't really kept up with the whole blogging thing, or much of anything lately! BUT I'm home for bedtime every night and get to spend more time with the kids in the evenings. (Luckily Kurt's been getting them up and off to school/sitter on time every morning while I snooze in the dark, quiet basement!) We're still going on field trips every Saturday, I'm learning a lot about the store and I just might get a few bills paid off in the meantime!

8 comments:

katyvee said...

And I thought I was "chipper"!
Reading that made me drowsy.. and I don't work nights!

Emma Jo said...

I am seriously feeling so tired after your last paragraph...when do you sleep?!
But on the other hand, and I'm pretty sure I have already asked you this, will you adopt me?

Amy Lynn said...

OK, so apparently you aren't adopting...could I sign up for a house next door? And I'd just come over every morning around 11:00 a.m. to get my daily activity itinerary...maybe I'd exercise even! And we'd have fun every day! I love the person you are, the mother you are, the super tough work out warrior you are and that every fabulous outing involves a yummy treat. Sigh.

Becks said...

Happy Birthday to the funnest Mom I know! I love you.

Becks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby said...

Amy's right--you are a warrior! I think you live in the coolest city! You should be making money writing for a travel guide company or something. Seriously--people should come visit your blog to know what fun things to do around the area!

Leese said...

i would love to adopt ALL of you...or at least meet up for outings everyday :) abby, i have been considering an "Out & About" blog, sometime...! i am doing a presentation for RS on where to take your kids over the summer, though haha!

JS said...

Hi Leese,
LOVE your blog and what got passed along to Moms Like Me. Can you e-mail me at jessica@stlsprout.com?
Thanks!
Jessica Pupillo
Editorial Director, www.stlsprout.com