Friday, December 5, 2008

Frosty

There's nothing quite like the first snow of the season. Even though it just barely covered the grass, K and D still managed to gather enough to build themselves a pretty decent snowman! (or snowbaby...maybe we'll get a little more to work with next time!)

You've just gotta love the 20 minutes it takes to get bundled up for such an adventure! Long johns, extra socks, a few shirts and sweatshirts, the mittens, snowpants, boots, coats, hats and don't forget the scarves! Then when it's all said and done, they look just like the little brother in "A Christmas*Story" and can barely walk through the snow, let alone play in it! In fact, the toasty little tikes can barely get themselves back up if they happen to take a tumble in all of that snow!

So I thought I was so smart and bought all new boots and snowpants last year a size or so too big so that they'd still fit this season. Then I was not so smart, 'cause I didn't have them try it all on before the snow actually arrived. After trying to squeeze Big Butter into a size 2T snow pant (he's almost a 5 now) and spending a good (or actually BAD) 5 minutes trying to get LuLu's foot into her boot (calling her Drizella*and*Anastasia the whole time) I started thinking...hmmm, maybe that was 2 years ago!

The best part was that D and I were the first to see the snow, while it was actually falling at 4am! (I swear, one of these nights EVERYONE will sleep until the sun actually begins to rise!) "Mom, what's that? It's so pretty!" So then, of course we got to sit and watch it fall for a while... just the two of us in the dark, quiet house, watching the snowflakes falling gently, quietly to the ground... and whispering about all the fun he would have in the morning with that fresh, cold, beautiful snow! Anyone who knows my Big Butter can understand how I wanted to hold on to that moment! Even if it was at 4am!

8 comments:

katyvee said...

I love your 'moment'.. and love that you loved your moment. Let's have a shout out to all darling Moms who are there for their kids.. even at 4 am. You're a great Mom.. and great Moms are REALLY cool.

Abby said...

I too loved your 4am monent. I got one with each kid this past week, and I know what you mean. It's the only time the big one lets me really snuggle him anymore, and how can I put the little one back in her bead with such a huge smile on her face?

Suzie Petunia said...

It almost makes me miss snow. Almost. :)

Amy Lynn said...

I need to remember to whisper nicer things to my children when they wake me up at 4:00 a.m.

We need a good snow day...I'm tired of them dragging in the old crunchy leaves...I'm ready to sop up the melted snow instead. Bring on the snow!!

Emma Jo said...

I love kids. It really just doesn't take much to please them!

Lucky Mommy said...

I just saw this post! It is so sweet. I love how kids forget things from year to year and that snow can be a new thing even at age 4. I'm glad you enjoyed your moment holding on to D. It sounds so sweet and I'm glad you captured it! Michael was up in the middle of the night and he wouldn't go to bed. He kept saying "I need Mommy!" I couldn't put him down when he said that!

Becks said...

What a great moment. Those special times make motherhood so rewarding!

PS love the decorations and Christmas music!

Anonymous said...

where you come from!