Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Mad Scientist

Ah that LuLu! Just after I had been bugging her about how she needs to start doing more things by herself for herself, she goes and does this...
It's Science Fair time, and I had asked her if she wanted to do a project. With my fingers crossed, I held my breath as I awaited the answer from my girl whose favorite subject is, yep you guessed it, science! I let out the biggest sigh of relief as she explained to me that her class was doing a project, so we didn't need to. (I say "we" because as we all know, on the 2nd grade level, there is an overwhelming amount of parental involvement!)
So tonight was the big "Science Night" at school and she and I were all set to go see every one's projects displayed in the cafeteria. As I was fixing dinner (something new, so I had to kinda pay attention to what I was doing!), she got involved in some project. She had filled up two bread pans with water and was putting different things in them, seeing which ones would float or sink. She then asked me for some paper, and more paper and more...I was becoming less and less eager to get this paper for her (new dinner recipe - and again the topic of self-sufficiency!) but since it was on the top shelf (so they don't use it all in one day!) I kept her pretty well stocked! So as I was finishing up dinner with Baby Butter not so happy in my arms and Big Butter running around post-tub, but pre-jammies (why does he think clothing is optional?) she showed me what she had been working on. Things finally settled down and I was able to see that she had just completed a Science Project on "what will and will not float in water." This girl wrote her objective, hypothesis, data etc in a log book, then made smaller sheets of paper that summarized what was in the book. I couldn't believe she had done all of this on her own while I was making dinner! So I took a picture of the bread pan with the straw and balls that floated, and the spoon and rock that did not! I tried to print it here at home, but of course the printer decided that would be too easy! It was now 5:45 and we needed to be at school before 6:30 to set it up! So I quickly uploaded the photo to Walgreen*s and hoped and prayed it would be done by the time we got there - in about 16 minutes! Lucky Day..it was! We bought a poster board and taped it all on in the hallway at school! Now, the judging took place earlier today, and of course the other projects had been done over the course of weeks/months with a LOT of help! But I tell ya, in my eyes, the Big Blue Ribbon ought to go to Little Miss LuLu!








1 comment:

Amy Lynn said...

I can't believe what a stellar mom you are. Really. She will never, ever forget this science experiment...not just the experiment, but the big deal her mom made about it! Hooray for budding young scientists! And a double hooray for their supportive moms! I'm super impressed by both of you.