Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Seemed Like a Good Idea...


Can you see how excited he is? This boy wants to do absolutely everything his big brother and sister do! So, yes, that includes using the potty. He had been bugging me for some time about this...at first just grabbing his diaper and saying "poop" or "change me" and then he would actually try to pull off his diaper to use the potty. So I'm thinking "FABULOUS!!!" After almost 8 solid years of changing diapers, I'm finally going to be free! So I went out and got the pull-ups, brought out the little potty and began my quest to potty train my last child before the age of 2! (I was honestly worried that the others were going to wear pull-ups to Kindergarten! They were both right around 4!) We were off to a great start...he actually "went" every time he sat on that thing and was so excited...I didn't even need M'nM*s! Of course, he was only 21 months old, and really couldn't tell me when he actually had to go...so I had to train myself to take him every so often. Sure that was no problem, cause we're pretty much home doing nothing all the time, and I have nothing else to think about other than when my child's bladder might be full! Yeah right! Needless to say, this hasn't really stuck! Yes, he still goes on the potty from time to time, but it started to become a little game for him. He'd go back and forth between the big and little potties...and not really doing a whole lot once he figured out which one was worthy of him! So, I've decided that since I'm still cleaning up Big Butter's "puddles," Baby Butter can stay in diapers for just a little while longer!

PS - if anyone has actually been successful at potty training under 2, I'm open to any advice you may have! I think it is possible to do... but like I said, I'm just not sure I'm really up for cleaning up after 2 little boys right now! For example...The other day, Big Butter came upstairs and informed me that since LuLu's bathroom has no potty (under construction!), he just went on the floor in there!

4 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

Oh come on, cleaning up after 2 boys is fun! Ha! I totally think you should wait until he can tell you. Michael has retroverted and refuses to use the potty right now. It's just a huge power struggle I don't want to deal with right now so he's using up the diapers and then pull ups I guess, hoping he'll want to use the toilet sometimes. What a cutie, though. I love that last picture. Flushed cheeks and sweaty haired boys are my new found favorite thing!

Amy Lynn said...

I just took my 4 year almost 7 month year old daughter to the doctor and told the medical professional I wasn't leaving until she gave me the medicine that made my very bright daughter use the potty. She just laughed and told me to BACK OFF! I paid $25.00 to have the doctor tell me to stop engaging in the power struggle because the 4-year old will win...and I will lose badly. Chris said he could have told me that for free! I hate, loathe, despise and detest potty training. With every fiber of my being. So I'm no help...just a bitter mom. (I hate poop and pee!)

katyvee said...

I totally support waiting until the ripe old age of 3 to even start. Sophie just got it down at 3 years and 3 months.. and all on her own. I could not get her interested, and then one day.. wa-la! There she sat. I refuse to beg!!! Just wait til he can tell ya.. or YOU'RE the trained one!

Tamara said...

Amy Petersen has trained all of her kids around 18 mos - 2 years old. I'd suggest you ask her. All of mine were around 3 when I finally got it to "stick". But if it makes you feel any better (or worse), C came to me yesterday to say how she had gone on the potty, but still spilled pee on her dress, and she's nearly 7!