Sunday, January 18, 2009

"Ace"

So they tell me that a toddler's appetite comes and goes, and that you really shouldn't worry about it too much. Well, that's all fine, but what if all he wants to eat is GRAPES?
He stands at the fridge, trying to open it, saying "Ace,ace,ace..." until he gets what he wants! I used to just take out a few, cut them in half, set them on his tray, put him in his chair to eat them, take him out when I thought he was finished, clean him off, put away the grapes. But then he would be right back at the fridge saying, "ace " again. So we'd go through the whole routine again, and again, and again... One day, I left the bowl on the counter and went to do something else (yes, there are other things to do besides cater to his every desire!) he then pushed a chair to the counter, climbed on up, pulled those grapes right off the vine and chomped them all! (Ah, my independent boys!) Now I only have to hear "Ace" once and he can do the rest himself! Sweet boy...he even puts the lid back on when he's finished!


6 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

I have a love/hate relationship with toddler independence. I love it when it works out well, I hate it when they make a royal mess trying to do it. Cute pics and smart boy!

Emma Jo said...

Independence is great (I would have just said that "it's grape!" but I thought that was a little much.) My children have the irritating ability to eat the entire thing of grapes the very day that I bring them home from the store. I mean, I am grateful that its fruit but come on, let 'em last for a day or two.

Julie M. said...

That's too cute! Gabi's is "go-go", Yogurt. She gets herself a spoon and stands by the fridge yelling "go-go, go-go!"

Abby said...

I hope all those grapes don't create another mess (when they come out the other end)! Amen to loving/hating independence...
p.s. You need one of my scorpions to hunt your spiders--creatures I never see thanks to scorpions...another love/hate.

mamasuisse said...

That's awesome that he puts the lid back on. You're so lucky - he'll probably be a toilet flusher and seat putter-downer, too.

Toddler independence is a mixed blessing, especially when it comes to eating. I'm cringing just thinking about it because I have a somewhat unreasonable fear of my kids choking. Grapes are on my list.

Amy Lynn said...

My children eat apples...let me rephrase that...my children eat 5-6 bites out of an apple before putting it back in the refrigerator...and they are so clever, they will put the "bit" side down. When I find the half-eaten apple, they refuse to finish it because it "looks brown and yucky". Maybe I'll switch to grapes...at least they can eat the whole thing at once. But how on earth do I train them to put the lid back on when I'm done?