Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas is here...bringing good cheer!


Christmas Eve...the night we've all been waiting for!

On the 23rd of December, Big Butter finally "got" the whole concept of being good to get presents! He was incredibly helpful and sweet all day. That night, as I snuggled up with him to say goodnight, he asked, "Mom, am I going to get any presents?" And let me tell ya, it was a little touch and go for a while there, (I mean, a whole year of being good?) but I reassured him, that yes, he would get some presents! Christmas Eve finally arrived and the kids were as excited as can be to go to Grandma and Grandpa's for a big dinner. We were joined by my brother's crew all armed with their individual bottles of Purell and even a can of Lysol to ward off any of our flu germs that might still be lingering in the air! (I am so sorry...as careful as we all were, just a few days later, they were all attacked by the flu bug too!)
After consuming way too many meatballs, slices of ham and yummy salad and potato casserole, we made our way to the living room for the "program" to begin. (very reminicent of our nights at Mema and Poppa's!) We were entertained by singing, piano playing and even "Jingle Bells" played on actual bells (my adorable 4 year old niece is extremely talented!) Grandma read Mema's story of Conrad as I wrestled with Big Butter who was ever-so anxious for ice cream and presents! After listening to Grandpa read the Christmas story as the kids came in one at a time portraying each role with such seriousness (well, almost all of them!), it was time for some real fun...dancing around the tree! Now, for any of you who aren't Swedish, or never made it to a Christmas at my Grandparents' house, this is what the crazy Swedes do each Christmas Eve. Singing silly songs about pigs, frogs and all sorts of other things, then dance (or trot) around the tree and even all through the house. I think it's just a great way to work off a few of those meatballs and make room for the ice cream, hot fudge and cookies!

Picture didn't turn out so well, but i was so proud of my little LuLu playing the piano for everyone. She has gotten so grown-up and confident...amazing! After spinning around and around "back-stage," our wise man needed a little help with his wardrobe; not sure where his golden kleenex box cover ended up!

Getting warmed up for "Nu Ar Det Jul Igen!
After opening their presents from Grandma and Grandpa, and one more from me (books and a puzzle - including a Fairy book, which was LuLu's favorite present of all!), we finally got our peppermint ice cream with Grandma's amazing hot fudge sauce and some incredible cookies my sister-in-law had made. (due to the flu germs that may or may not have been floating around my house, I sadly, contributed nothing but Baby Jesus and the manger this year!) We then made our way home to set out our cookies and water for Santa (because that's the best when you're really thirsty, LuLu taught us) and some carrots for Rudolph, LuLu got to have a sleep-over in Big Butter's room. As I snuggled up with them at 9:15, I really tried to stay awake, but the next thing I knew, it was 11:15! Luckily there wasn't much for me to do, and I was able to get back to sleep by 12:30!

Christmas morning was here and wouldn't ya know it - the living room was filled with too many trucks, toys that ,make noise and even a bike! It was amazing! We had a great time trying to figure out how in the heck these darn transformers work and even got to watch a few concerts from Hannah*Montana!

Baby Butter opened his first gift, and that was all he needed! He ran around the house pulling that airplane behind him all day! This is how the rest of us spent the day...

LuLu and her crafts...

Big Butter and his incredibly awesome tow truck!And Baby Butter...surprisingly in Mom's arms all day :)

Despite Baby Butter refusing to nap, we had a great day! I can't believe Christmas came and went so quickly! Good thing we get to do it all again next year!!!

7 comments:

mo said...

Oh, reading about your Christmas made me homesick for those good old days at Mema and Poppas. We forgot to read the story of Conrad this year at ours! Emily usually does it and she wasn't here. It sounds like you had a great holiday--it's so much more fun with lots of little ones around!!

Anonymous said...

cool blog

Lucky Mommy said...

You are amazing. I can't believe you did the whole Christmas thing after (and during) being sick. I wish I could have seen you more on our trip here. Ah, well. Love you and Kacey's pom camp looks like a blast! I love that you have Wham playing on your blog. That is so fun!

mamasuisse said...

Hi Lisa. Cute blog. Your kids are darling, and I love "Big Butter's" tow truck. My Sam would love that!

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful Christmas!

Lauren said...

Hey, I didn't know you were a blogger! Man how those kids grow! You guys look great, merry christmas (late, I know) and happy new year!

Amy Lynn said...

Perfectly wonderful Christmas! I honestly think Christmas eve is my favorite part of the whole thing. Who doesn't love meatballs, potato casserole, a great play, some tree dancing, and great family all together? You truly have made this holiday so special for your kids! I'm inspired (and so tired...good thing I have a few months to work my holiday spirit back into gear!)