Friday, May 8, 2009

Run Lulu, Run...



My Lulu is so very talented in so many ways...she plays the piano beautifully, she's a very expressive and creative writer, her art is amazing, she's sweet, funny, honest, a good reader, a great singer, darn cute and I just love her to pieces! Now when it comes to sports, well... Have I mentioned how incredibly smart she is?! So you can imagine how surprised I was when she decided participate in the Read Right and Run. They had to read so many books, do a certain number of good deeds and run several miles over the course of the school year. They met after school to run laps around the track, she and I went for walks in the evenings and even PE would count for their "miles run." They wrapped it all up with a big mile run down in Forest*Park. It was so fun! There were several schools there (yeah, can you tell this was over a month ago...the details are already foggy!) and all these grade schoolers were out at 8am running...a full mile! I remember what a huge deal the infamous "Mile Run" was in High School PE! Some of these kids are in Kindergarten! So awesome!

Lining up to start the big race!

Poor thing...it was a little chilly that morning, so I made her bundle up - not so cold when you're out there running! So sorry!!!

Big medal and some snacks!

She had such a great time, she's already excited for next year!

5 comments:

katyvee said...

Go Lulu!
We were, (luckily) out of town for our schools 'Fun Run' this year.
Being a "runner" myself.. you'd think I'd supportsuch an activity.. but I veto it cause it's at 8 am on a Saturday morning! How lame am I??

Lucky Mommy said...

Hurray for Lulu! She looks so cute out there and I am so proud of her work working hard at the reading and good deeds too. What a talented girl!

Amy Lynn said...

What a great accomplishment! Good for Lulu! Running a mile is a big deal but doing it at 8am in Forest Park on a Saturday??? Triple kudos! And I bet she finished without being out of breath and wondered, "So, what next?" Don't you wish a mile stayed that easy your whole life?

Emma Jo said...

What a fun activity! And what a smart girl indeed. Such a cutie!

Becks said...

Good job, LuLu! That's a big accomplishment. You're such a good mom to encourage her in doing so many good things!