Friday, May 8, 2009

Unbelievable...actually not really!

My Big Butter...ya just gotta love this guy! Now HE is the big athlete in the family! At just 4 1/2 years old, he is surprising me daily with the things he can do! A month ago, it was basketball...he played all Easter weekend with his cousins and is now shooting hoops like he's Karl Malone (one of my faves from my Utah days!) We've got the hoop on the patio, and he'll spend all afternoon throwing that ball around...and he gets it in at least half of the time! ...of course every athlete needs a cute cheerleader!

Then we started T-ball...it's still just instructional, the games begin in 3 weeks. The group consists of all 3 and 4 year old kids who are all at least 4 inches shorter than my big guy! The first time he threw the ball it went straight over the coaches head! Now he's hitting all the way to the outfield (actually hits better when it's pitched to him rather than just on the T), can run the bases as fast as mom (not that that's saying much!), has quite an arm for throwing and will knock kids out of the way to catch the ball...he might be just a tad too aggressive!So the other day I decided it was time to take off his training wheels. I knew he was ready last year, but was afraid he'd be way too fast without those things to drag him down! So he was sitting on his bike and I started my little speech about how you need to lean and turn etc...I started off, "Now Buddy, you need to remember..." I barely got the words out when off he went! Well alrighty then... guess ya don't need me! He made it down the driveway, into the grass and then down he went! Second attempt...he again made it down the driveway, then turned onto the sidewalk and rode all the way to the neighbors' house! Not even 10 minutes later, he was riding in circles, starting by himself and even going up the hill! Absolutely amazing! Oh, and the other day I found him shimmying his way up the tree in the backyard! I really don't think there's any thing Big Butter can't do! He's got incredible skills and intense determination! Just hope we can keep him out of the emergency room!


3 comments:

Amy Lynn said...

Ah, yes..we have one of those. Love watching him until it involves front flips and jumping his bike off ramps. They keep life fun and interesting. Your boy has some amazing athletic "prowess"...

Abby said...

There is true excitement captured in that video, as he races away! It made me realize that I'm going to blink and my little boy will be off and away too soon! And I am jealous of your lovely tree-lined streets with grass, etc. It sounds like he has endless energy to match all those abilities. I'm tired just thinking about it--Put me cheering on the sidelines, close to the concessions!

Becks said...

Wow, that's amazing! What a natural. Isn't it incredible to see someone have such an inborn ability? Way to go, Big Butter!