Thursday, October 9, 2008

No Soccer Scholarship Just Yet


I think it's been established that D has a lot of energy and needs to move! So he's playing soccer - figured that was enough running around to wear him out a bit. The league is for 4 and 5 year olds and he turned 4 in the middle of it, so he got to sneak in - since he's the size of any 5 or 6 year old, I figured he'd be fine. You've all seen these games - a herd of little kids running around after the 2 that actually kick the ball. Then there are the few who are out playing in the dirt, or the girls doing cartwheels! So I thought it didn't really matter that he was clueless on the rules and even the whole concept of the game. (That's why they have coaches and practices, right?)

He's had a few games and has actually been doing pretty well. He runs around, kicks the ball and has a good time. So this week, it was somehow decided that he should try being goalie for a while. My D, who can't stay in the same place for more than 3 seconds was to be goalie? When everyone else gets to run around? What were they thinking? This I had to see! So he's standing there looking all cute in his soccer socks and way too big t-shirt, face all red and sweaty hair; and I just had to take a picture if him. This time, I was the one who wasn't thinking! I went over there and of course he saw me "take a cheese" ('cause that's what ya say!) of him and he wanted to see it. Instead of just running over to him really fast and letting take a peek, I (quite foolishly) said, "Oh, no! You've gotta stay in the game - you're the big goalie! I'll show you later!" Of course he paid no attention to that, and as the pack of all the other sweaty, red faced kids approached, he abandoned his post to check out his "cheese." As I'm running to get him back in his place, little B decides he wants to run around with the big kids and is heading for the field. So here's my dilemma, do I get D back in his position to save the game, or do I save my baby B from being trampled by a herd of preschoolers? Needless to say, the other team scored and D clapped and cheered with such excitement, you'd think he'd just won the World*Cup!
He was then put back in the field with the rest of the swarm! The picture wasn't the best, but would it really be worth risk to take another?






Here's the other game I was watching. No points, goalies or ref's...but the best coach a little guy could have!

3 comments:

Lucky Mommy said...

I am laughing so hard! The coach must have said, That's a new one! I love it. I'm glad D was happy the team scored. That makes the whole story even better. K and B look adorable hanging out together too. Fun post and the pics look great!

katyvee said...

Pictures are WAY more important than the score! Everyone knows that. (Can you tell I've never been a highly competitive person?? Maybe THAT'S why I didn't make highlanders!!

Amy Lynn said...

That is so funny! Watching kids play soccer is one of my favorite hobbies. It IS a herd of sweaty kids all chasing a ball and when they actually touch the ball, there is all that random, wild kicking and usually by the time the ball moves, a couple kids are rolling on the ground in pain, a few have gone to check out the water station, and a few are over playing on the playground next to the field. And my kids always sleep beautifully that night...worth every penny in my mind!