Our mini-marathon (sort-of!)
Now that it's October and the weather is better than perfect, we have found a new hang-out. Since the kids can't seem to ride their bikes enough, and I'm strangely addicted to exercise, we've found a way to merge them both into an outing that keeps everyone happy. There's a big lake by our house, and it's so pretty over there, I decided to take the boys to check it out one afternoon. I brought D's bike, just in case he'd like to ride it a bit along the trail. I thought he'd mostly be interested in throwing rocks into the water, digging in the sand and finding sticks (branches) - you know, boy things! But no, he wanted to ride his bike. Well that was all just fine, so we started on the trail. It's really cool - tons of fallen logs, caves, bridges, the lake to one side and to top it off, we get to go under a massive "highway" bridge. So D is pretty quick on his little bike and I found myself having to sprint to keep up with him. Luckily he takes lots of breaks to find more treasures
in the woods, which gave me the chance to catch my breath! Unfortunately, I wasn't quite prepared for this marathon! Shortly into the ride, I asked a jogger just how far was this loop? 3.7 miles - and I was in flip flops sprinting after my 4 year old while pushing B in the stroller! We were quite a sight! The really fun part was shouting (quite breathlessly) to D, "Stay on my side of the path!" so that he didn't get slammed by the various roller-bladers and wanna-be Lance*Armstrongs! To which everyone responded, "He's so adorable!" (If they only knew what I go through with this guy!) It put the biggest smile on my face as I said, "Aw, thanks!" 2 hours later we finally got back in the car and headed home! It was so much fun that 2 days later we went again with K after school. Only problem was, we didn't get back until 7pm - B's bed time! Good thing I had lots of pretzels, cheerio*s, and juice boxes to keep B happy, (I know, that meal was missing a few food groups!) but had to do the drive thru for some greasy fast food for the big kids (kind of cancelled out all of the exercise they did!) Oh, and this time I wore my running shoes! 


4 comments:
We love going to that lake, too. It's great to have paths that kids can go one. And, I know what you mean about trying to keep little ones out of the way of all of those bikes and other wheels! Kind of crazy at times!
I have just discovered bike riding with my kids...I love it because it is interesting for me, really fun for the kids, and everyone sleeps REALLY well when we get home!
I'm laughing so hard at the image of you running 3.7 miles in flip-flops chasing D. on his bike! You ARE an amazing mom! I would have had a heart attack and just hoped he found his way home!
I've just taken my boys outside on their "bikes" this week and they go so fast and never want to stop and go home. They do sleep well after days like that! I'm glad you have great weather and great places to go burn off steam. That picture of K and D is so sweet too. Fun to get updates on here!
I love those adventures, even when we do get in over our heads sometimes (in my case that may be once around the block right now!) I would LOVE a lake trail--where can I get one?
Post a Comment